Wednesday 29 August 2012

Garden Round Up


Well, I thought it only fair to give you a quick catch up on all things gardeny.
The allotment has been coming along beautifully, entirely due to the friends we are sharing it with.  S is the driving force behind it's appearence, I would be just happy to grow a few things to eat but I'm always happy to be associated with something gorgeous!!
Meanwhile, back in our greenhouse, DH has fashioned a couple of raised beds for our tomato plants out of an old bed of ours - I love the upcycling/recycling aspect to it.  Our tomato plants are now completely out of control and have taken over the greenhouse.  We will have a bumper crop this year if only they will ripen, otherwise there's going to be a lot of green tomato chutney - watch out family and friends . . .!
My little helper who has been doing a lot of watering this year.  It's been a funny year in the garden.  We have been inundated with slugs at home so very little outside has survived.  We've had better luck at the allotment but I think we are just getting used to the whole idea of growing  veg and a lot of the plants were put into the ground quite late in the season so we haven't had as good a crop as we could have.  But the whole community spirit of the allotment is just wonderful.  I spoke to one chap - who has offered to lend anyone who needs it his wheelbarrow - about general vegtable growing and he takes a very scientific view of working out exactly how many plants he needs in a growing season - how many parsnip plants he needs if he is going to have 2 parsnips a week for 6 months!  I have a feeling I need to learn a bit more about this and think more about quantity and timing.  We've been having some lovely things to eat - but certainly haven't produced enough to feed two families!!

My first year of growing sugarsnap peas - very exciting this is too!

Ah, and finally some courgettes - now where did I put those courgette receipes . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment